[LUG] HP Laptop Failing to boot!

Hi Folks,

I could really use some help please...

I have a HP HDX 18 laptop that has happily been running Debian (forgot the version, sorry!) for about 2 years without issue.

The computer is used infrequently and normally resides in a power off state.

So, I turned it on recently and it displayed a "bad" error message during the boot process. I'm so sorry I failed to record the specific message 🙄

The computer hung at this stage of the boot sequence. I thought "hmmm, bother" and wondered if the OS had become corrupt some how? I downloaded the latest Debian version, copied it to a usb stick and began reinstalling the system.

During the install the first error message was that the installer was unable to set the system clock. Weird right?!

The next error message was a failure installing the "base system". Again, i'm really sorry but i have failed to record the specific error message. The above (and below) escapades have played out over a few weeks as and when I have had half an hour here and there to make progress with it.

So, the first Debian re-install failed. I tried again from scratch. Same story... unable to set system clock, then a catastrophic failure installing the base system.

The next thing I tried was a different distro. I tried the LMDE variant and the installation appeared to complete fine. But on re-booting the computer, supposedly into the new OS for the first time, everything just hung. More bother!

On attempting to boot the computer as of today the initial bios screen saying press "Esc" to enter setup is presented. Pressing "Esc" fails to enter the bios setup and I am now unable to boot from a usb drive.

With the previous error messages concerning the inability to set the system clock I wondered if the cmos battery could have gone flat and if that could be the issue? I appropriately changed the battery and it had no effect.

So, now I'm wondering if the mother board needs changing!? But before I get into that I thought one of you guys might be able to shed some light on this.

Thanks very much.
Cheers
Roly :-)
I hope you are all safe and well!