Re: [LUG] Online meetings?

On Thu, 19 Mar 2020 at 07:56, Andy Wills <home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 18 March 2020 at 20:46 Grant Phillips-Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since t'is the season for everyone to stay indoors and keep away from the rest
> > of the population, would it be feasible to have "online" meetings instead of
> > face-to-face? I use Zoom with my clients a lot, but I appreciate that it isn't
> > really in the spirit of the GLUG to be using such non-Free Software. I've had a
> > bit of a play with Jitsi-Meet, which shows promise, but I feel it's "not quite
> > there" yet.
> >
> > Does anyone else have any recommendations or suggestions for cross platform
> > video chat tools that actually work well?
> >
> > Grant. :)
>
> Good idea, was thinking about this for the meeting on 28th. I have just adopted
> Zoom at the instruction of my employer (desperate times - all Uni gone online at
> no notice) so perhaps we could use that on 28th, and put free software video chat
> toward the top of chat topics?

Andy, do you know if your account (presumably provided by the Uni) is
a Pro/Business/Enterprise account? Zoom Free limits multi-participant
meetings to 40mins (unlimited time for 1-to-1 meetings).

If you are on the Pro/Business/Enterprise plan, do you reckon you'd be
able to host the meeting, or do you think your employer might be irked
by that?

Grant. :)