Re: [LUG] Fwd: 🎉 Raspberry Pi 4 (2GB) PRICE CUT! Plus a FREE gift!

On 01/03/2020 17:07, mr meowski wrote:
On 01/03/2020 09:31, Simon Avery wrote:
These things exist - but at quite a high price point for the usual
reason that it's not used by the average consumer, and even SOHOs quite
often go with a bog standard isp-supplier router and nothing else.
(Maybe a vpn or two)  This is changing, but so so slowly.
This is the core of the problem - I know full well that professional
solutions exist and plenty of them, I've been using them most of my
working life. Which is how I also know they're frequently crappy and
always expensive. It's exactly all the small SOHOs I'm interested in,
all of whom could afford a <£100 RPi based mini router/gateway/thingy.
But it would have to work super-reliably, and that's where the RPi
proposition is likely to flake out I think.

Initial tests on a RPi3B+ running stock Arch looked great until iperf
was bound to the USB gigabit adaptor instead of the onboard NIC:

NIC:    34.2 MBytes/sec
USB:    25.2 MBytes/sec

On the Pi4 the Ethernet is attached to the PCIe bus, not the USB bus like previous versions.
--
Giles Coochey
NetSecSpec Ltd

--