Re: [LUG] Fwd: 🎉 Raspberry Pi 4 (2GB) PRICE CUT! Plus a FREE gift!

On 01/03/2020 17:07, mr meowski wrote:
> Let's find out I guess. Next I'm going to try opnsense and ipfire - as
> the two most obvious drop-in appliance type distros available - to see
> how they fair in a naive quick and dirty test.

The answer was inevitably, very poorly. ipfire made the stronger effort
but struggled to maintain even 1MBps throughput. opnsense immediately
required kldload bodges to even get my usb NICs operational but I was
kind of expecting that.

I don't think I'll even bother testing stock Arch or OpenBSD on the
RPi3B+ - it'd be a fun couple of hours playtime but realistically my
efforts would be better saved waiting for a Pi4. Pretty sure I'm still
going to be asking too much even of that (I definitely want to run a
docker stack on it _as well_ as all the networking stuff, always the
optimist!) but we'll see. I wonder if in 2 years I'll still be wondering
if it's going to work this time as I order a couple of RPi5 units...