Re: [LUG] Teaching Linux

On 08/12/2019 16:18, David Bell wrote:
On Sun, 8 Dec 2019 12:57:46 +0000
Neil <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is this lack of training facilities one thing holding back the uptake
of Linux?

Back in the late 90's I read about Linux. No broadband available, so
tried it by using the various freebie magazine disks. Eventually bought
a boxed distro of SuSe, from PC World of all places, and used the
superb handbook provided to teach myself the basics and now into my 80's
have never looked back. My favourite in those early fun years being
Mandrake.

I first got to use Linux in 1999, and it was Mandrake, then later Suse and Kubuntu. I have never used Windows since, so I am clueless about anything other than Linux nowadays. This is often how it starts, someone who knows that I use computers a lot asks for some help with a Windows problem. I then explain that I know only Linux, and it all goes on from there.

Although I don't use M$ Windows I have it installed separately on a
laptop to help out family and friends. I have often built machines for
people and offered to install Linux. However, I am met in all cases
with either almost cold hostility or told that they are "comfortable"
with M$ Windows, despite demonstrating Linux to them. Microsoft have
done a wonderful job of brainwashing the world.

Windows is not installed on any of the computers here. I have never used a Mac. So I cannot help anyone with either.

Neil