Re: [LUG] VPN talk

On 01/10/2019 16:00, Paul Sutton wrote:

On 01/10/2019 13:20, Giles Coochey wrote:
On 26/09/2019 21:22, Michael Everitt wrote:
Thanks Giles, I'm happy to chew over some of the features of
WireGuard as I sorta know the dev through Gentoo if its something
new(er) to you .. but would be good to go over some stuff I'm
sure.
So I have about 5-6 slides prepared, content will essentially be:

* Overview of VPN types * Technologies * Use Cases, including
discussion of commercial "VPN services" seeing as that is what
comes up when you google "VPN" * Overview / Live demonstration of
Client-Site / Remote Access VPN (OpenVPN Client to OpenVPN Server
on Pfsense) * Live demonstration of StrongSwan IPsec Site-to-Site
tunnel using Raspberry Pis * Review of Pfsense IPsec Site-Site
tunnel to Cloud * Is a VPN necessary for you? - just can tunnel a
TCP port over SSH * Q & A * Optional - Diffie-Hellman(-Merkle) Key
Exchange example (with small integers), oro, publicly exchanging a
private cryptographic key.

I've not come across WireGuard, but a quick search makes it look
interesting, so if you would like to chime in at an opportune
moment to talk about that then I'd be interested in learning about
that too. Perhaps after I've gone through the OpenVPN part?

Thank you for this Giles, lots to fit in, so should be a great
introduction.

If you are using Raspberry Pi's for this, would you like me to set
aside any monitors / keyboards / mice etc ?

Shouldn't need to, they'll all function headless and I can ssh into them on the laptop.

--
Giles Coochey