Re: [LUG] Holsworthy Meeting "reasonable time"

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

However I would not have seen any 'emojie' [nor understood it] as I
download only in pure text.

It's Emoji.

An it's nothing more than the modern, 2000's update on the Emiticon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji

They are expressed in Unicode framework using the utf-8 character set. That is effectively "pure text" in todays parlance as the first 127 characters in utf-8 are the same as the first 127 characters in ASCII. The days of 7-bit character sets left us with the introduction of "Code page 437 " or 8-bit ASCII then CP819 then ISO 8859-x round about the time the IBM PC came on the scene. It's an 8-bit character set with extensions - which is much easier to represent, store and manipulate than wide, 16 or 24 bit characters that the boffins tried for while...

Pass me the 820Ω resistor please, paired with the 0.1µF capacitor, it'll make a nice little filter. It's a nice day. 18°C today.

And the difference between an Ω and a 😁 not a lot in a modern Linux, really. Some are harder to type than others, but my relatively old Xterm seems to work just fine for them.

Yes, it was ugly with varying "standards" in the early days, but now it's generally accepted. Even if it's a 💩

(And if you see that as a box with 01 F4 A9, then you need an update ;-)

https://emojipedia.org/pile-of-poo/

PETSCII, anyone?

Gordon