[LUG] USB Sticks

I have quite a few USB sticks, all of them rather old now. I find that sometimes when I insert one into the port an icon shows up. Sometimes it does not. Sometimes it will be mounted automatically, sometimes not.

I use the disks utility to mount it if necessary, and it usually then appears in the file manager, but still no icon. Others work as expected.

Am I right in thinking it is because some of the sticks are getting old? I think they are all type 3, so not that old.

Perhaps I should get some new ones. Any suggestions please?

Neil