Re: [LUG] neofetch

On 04/09/2019 17:19, jah wrote:
> On 04/09/19 16:51, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> Of course, when I /really/ need it, I'll
>>   a) forget the name and
>>   b) forget it's even installed.
>
> I find doing something like this to be useful:
>
> $ mkdir -p ~/Documents/sysadmin
> $ echo "invoke neofetch" > !!$/generate-system-info-prettily.txt
>
> Now one just has to remember to look in the sysadmin folder...

Your hist file is the most useful untapped resource on your system.

Ctrl+r is magic. Change .bashrc to utilise it better and disable nasty
defaults (maximum entries = 500 is not what you want). Make a couple of
aliases for simple history looting and sorting. Archive all the hist
files from every machine you touch somewhere centrally so you can
pillage them for half-remembered command voodoo when your brain doesn't
work.

Optionally use something more sophisticated like hstr* to make it even
more useful.

Personally I spend a lot (most?) of my time reusing and adapting complex
stuff that I actually know how to do but can't ever remember the
punishingly exact syntax. Being a lazy sysadmin I got my computers to
just start remembering everything for me instead: problem solved!

Cheers

* https://github.com/dvorka/hstr