Re: [LUG] 20190801 Can DC Lug members help elderly ?

To Keith Bell, Plymouth Keith Bell <keithbell382@xxxxxxxxx>
copy:
DCLUG
CC Copy Eion M
acDonald  maceion (Gmail) <maceion@xxxxxxxxx>

Dear Sir,
20190802 at 12.30 BST
Re: [LUG] 20190801 Can DC Lug members help elderly ?

Re: [LUG] 20190801 Can DC Lug members help elderly ?

Age is no barrier. One of my pupils is closer to ninety. I live near Warrington, Lancashire and tutor elderly (55 to 92 years old
at local library and local U3A [University of he Third Age].

DC LUG members in Plymouth may be able to help you.
However, you can also be helped remotely, depending on the equipment you have.

Can you give us what computer equipment, you have. This would allow us to determine what can be done to help you.
E.G.  Make of computer, or computers (old ones can be re-used/re-vitalised on Linux)
Model of computer
Amount of RAM:   1Gb  or 2 Gb or 3 GB or 4Gb or more.
What was the original operating system on your computer.   Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 or 8.1 or Windows 10.
Does computer have a USB port  e.g. USB 2 or USB 3

As a first, attempt, you can operate a Live Linux on your existing machine, without disturbing the existing operation system (OS).

What do you use the computer to do?  Email, / store – look at photographs, /letter writing, / watching videos, / Watching BBC iPlayer
or such like catch up programs, using social media such as   Twitter” or Facebook?
Do you have a back up of any important documents/photos etc.

Let us know this.

If you have an older Windows system, then a Linux system may be safer, and easier.

Kindest regards,
Eion MacDonald,
(DC Lug member)