Re: [LUG] opensource Re: Re-subscription and hello.

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019, 20:46 Jon Davey via list, <list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09 July 2019 at 10:17 "maceion@xxxxxxxxx" <maceion@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 08/07/2019 23:18, Jon Davey via list wrote:

On 08 July 2019 at 23:04 Michael Everitt <m.j.everitt@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 08/07/19 22:58, Jon Davey via list wrote:
On 08 July 2019 at 22:42 Grant Phillips-Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, 22:14 Jon Davey via list, < list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi DCGLUG, I used to subscribe a fair while back. I looked through some of the names and recognise some of them. My reason for re-subscription is because I was recently elected as the social media co-ordinateor for the Liskeard branch of the Labour party and I am keen to try to promote the use of as much open source software as I can, clearly the list will be a vital resource for this. So this is, really a bit of a test aswell just to check that I have subscribed properly, because I'm not entirely sure I have.

Jon Davey
Hi Jon, long time no see! Welcome back to the list. Yes, you have subscribed properly, and yes "top posting" is still frowned upon but people still do it (including me on occasion).

Grant. :)
Helo Grant, good to be back.
so I have a presentation to make to the branch in October. do you have any suggestions for something/anything I might be able to show, or speak about regarding Open Source ?
Jon
If you can make it to the Plymouth LUG meet on the 4th Saturday (27th this
month) we can kick some ideas around.

Paul is very alt-social-media, so I'm sure he will pitch in there, I think
there is a mixed reception across the LUG, as I'm resigned to Facebook, but
others prefer different platforms.

Good luck with your endeavours!

Michael / "veremitz" on IRC.
Thanks, I'd love to discover some alt-social media but also want to try to push the whole opens source philosophy too. I will see if I can make the meeting in Plymouth.
Jon

Open source notes I use.
20190709 opensource

1. Promote opensource equivalents for use on Windows 7 or 10.
start with:
a) Mozilla Firefox  (allows advert blocking, allows script blocking; something Google Chrome will no longer allow! [Intention in a short while]
Set up Vivaldi browser a Chrome based browser that will allow add blocking script blocking etc.
b) Thunderbird email client, allows saving emails to TEXT files for archiving thus readable in 50 years time. Teach to save every email to a text file for archive and storage independent of ISP or email providers being in existence.
Provide ability to read “windat” files attached, absolutely critical for their correspondents tied into Outlook email at work or home.
c) an office suite  LibreOffice.org or similar to suit computer RAM/CPU
Note that slides/impress/PowerPoint have major incompatibility problems on lay outs, even within PowerPoint versions.

This allows them to become familiar with normal office stuff

2. Explain proprietary codecs, and how to load into a Linux distro for use with You Tube , Videos etc.
d) VLC media player

Advise how to get videos inside a browser which do not open (e.g. BBC short videos) transferred by URL to VLC.

This I found delights the aged folk who watch youtube antics and BBC news.#

3 BIG BARRIER.
There is no bookkeeping/accounts free software that works with UK HMRC and VAT correctly.
This is a major barrier to putting self employed , small start ups onto FLOSS software.
GnuCash can be made with a great deal of effort to  show VAT , but this is the major obstacle for small tradesmen to use FLOSS.

I have set up a few businesses with FLOSS software, all small traders or high powered one man consultants (nuclear industry), but all have to have a Windows machine for HMRC  which is absolutely fixed on Adobe and use of proprietary bookkeeping stuff. HMRC old payroll software  BPT -rpi (basic payroll tools) which is good on Windows only works on 32 bit Ubuntu!

HMRC are a major obstacle to FLOSS  use in business for small traders.
Bigger traders can buy Linux accounting software from a restricted set of companies. Or use a cloud bookkeeping service.

UK governments have made little strides to use FLOSS software as civil service  are trained not to take responsibility, buy in then we are not to blame attitude.
However I not our ambassadors will take responsibility and be honest. Major point for diplomatic corps.
 I trust this helps.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald

Great stuff. I can probably spend some time even fleshing out what FLOSS actually stands for to begin with. That book keeping issue can keep till later for now. On a personal level I have downloaded an email client called Claws mail. I thought it looked good, but you recomend Thunderbird. I'll go with that then. Thanks for that, I have a bit to be going on with now :)

Best, Jon

ClawsMail is fab! But not necessarily something that the majority of people will find easy to use straight away.

If you're looking for software for you to use, definitely give ClawsMail a whirl. If you're looking for software you can demonstrate to others, and hopefully get them to use... Thunderbird (for now).

Grant. :)