Re: [LUG] USB stick does not display

On 01/04/2019 10:59, Simon Waters wrote:

My guess is you've installed the file system (ext4) onto the raw device, so
there is no MS-DOS style partition table on the devices.

This is fine for Linux, although it suggests the mounting options have changed
if they use to automount, and stopped.

Usually you'd have to set up a rule to mount such devices, but there are a
plethora of ways. In the old days you'd just add a line to /etc/fstab or to
the automounter config, but now systemd gets involved I have no clue where to
start. Google he suggests Mints disk utility can configure this for you.

When I buy any USB sticks, the first thing I do is to reformat it to ext4. I have always done this, for many, many years. This has never caused me any problems. What still puzzles me is that the one stick that is working fine was treated in exactly the same way. As was the external HD which has never faltered.

Neil