Re: [LUG] Teaching Linux

On 18/03/2019 12:19, maceion@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

On 18/03/2019 12:11, Neil wrote:

I would also discourage the idea of dual booting Linux with Windows,

Yes. However I ONLY dual boot with an *External* USB hard disc or USB
key. I do not introduce a dual boot on 'native hard disc' inside machine.
Much easier if they have an extra machine they can devote to Linux, but
some must retain for example a Windows only bookkeeping program or
accounts program for their records.
(15 years of  accounts can not easily be discarded)

Sure, I meant do not dual boot Linux and Windows on the same hard drive. Two different versions of Linux, fine. I feel that an extra, separate machine for Linux is the best way to go. That way, you do not interfere with any important programs on Windows. Much safer.

Which is the reason that, if I agree to get someone started on Linux, I would insist on a separate computer for it. Luckily, Linux can manage very well on old, low powered machines.

Your comments and help so far are starting to encourage me to think more positively about the whole idea of getting someone started on Linux. Up to now, I have always found some excuse to shy away from the whole idea.

So thanks, I think ....

Neil