Re: [LUG] Using GPG, receiving keys from Symantec keyserver

Tks, will try

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 02:57:48AM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

> You may need to specify a username and password in the LDAP bind, but you
> should be able to establish this using standard LDAP tools like ldapsearch
>
> https://linux.die.net/man/1/ldapsearch
>
> Afraid last place that used this was locked down so I extracted the keys we
> needed using the web interface of SEM, signed them and shared them with those
> who needed them (fail on so many levels but they didn't want them on public
> key servers).

:)

> I did have a colleague with some experience of the product, happy to put him
> in touch, but guessing you probably don't have access to the admin interface
> to figure it out.

Nope..

> Horrible product, and nearly all deployments I've saw made PGP worse by hiding
> details from the users. It has that ultimately failing of so much Enterprise
> software in that it tries to solve every possible configuration (of PGP email)
> an Enterprise may request, and in so doing allows them to request
> configurations that make no sense from a security perspective, but are
> fiendishly hard to understand, whilst adding a whole bunch of complexity. SEM
> is why Jonny still can't encrypt (unless he switches to WhatsApp).

The amount of time and effort I spend on complicated email systems (either
time, letters, stamps, or logging into servers, updating passwords, sending
passwords, explaining why passwords are not secure and then sending by post
) agghhhhh... This ignores the time firms spending on receiving letters etc
etc

I wish firms would use PGP... or heck even smime

--
Henry
Communication not signed with an original manual signature or an appropriately