Re: [LUG] BT removing spying eqpt

They are only removing the Hauwei spying equipment on 5g networks..

If you have a BT broadband router (home hub etc) it is still made by Hauwei and BT seem quite keen to keep a "watchful eye" themselves.

From: list <list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Giles Coochey <giles@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 06 December 2018 09:37
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] BT removing spying eqpt

On 06/12/2018 09:28, Eion MacDonald wrote:
> On 06/12/2018 09:24, Giles Coochey wrote:
>> On 06/12/2018 07:26, Tom via list wrote:
>>> https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/05/bt-removing-huawei-equipment-from-parts-of-4g-network
>>>

>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>

>> I think the concern is not so much that the equipment is actively
>> spying, but that if tensions were to increase between China and 'The
>> West' that Huawei could cease to support and provide security patches
>> for the equipment installed. If Huawei could prove that it isn't a
>> Chinese State Actor, with say significant domestic R&D & Support within
>> the UK then this wouldn't be so much of a problem. I think this is more
>> pressure from the likes of the NSA on the 5-eyes data surveillance
>> alliance, guided by the Trump administration to put the pliers on the
>> Chinese government due to the ongoing trade disputes.
>>
> Concur. It is the 'future possibility' that drives "please do not use
> Huawei" problem for security folk.
Another issue would be that the actual configuration of the core network
devices will almost certainly be classified, and I would expect that it
would be classified to the highest level, as these devices *will* have
intercept configurations to ensure that traffic is copied and recorded
for metadata analysis and future decryption (if they can't decrypt it
now, then it is likely they will be able to eventually decrypt it in the
future). The point being that getting support from China without
detailing what the device has been configured to do is nigh on
impossible. Whereas, with, say a Cisco manufactured device, I'm sure
they have a whole department who deal with NSA allies support issues.