Re: [LUG] tumblerd

On 28/11/2018 14:56, mr meowski wrote:
On 28/11/2018 11:53, Neil wrote:
So, I have removed the tumblerd file using synaptic. I have deleted the
icons in .thumbnails, (but not the folders). And I can't see any
difference in how it looks. So I am wondering why I need tumblerd at
all. Am I missing something here?

Yes.

Your system is working, you've got thumbnails displaying. What else do
you want? When you mess about with stuff like that intentionally to see
what happens or if it will break Linux will sometimes give you exactly
what you ask for and then you'll get to keep all the pieces.

Thanks. So I will do the same on my other laptop.

By the way I tried MX Linux out briefly in a VM and was underwhelmed, to
put it mildly. It's a brown version of Debian with XFCE with as far as I
could see, nothing of value added and a few dumb mistakes introduced.
What it offers the world over actual Debian remains a mystery to me but
hey, I'm not going to knock it if other people really like it for some
reason.

Different people different likes and dislikes. In the past I have tried Debian and I did not like it one little bit. In fact I hated it. So far I am getting on well with MX. But then I do not overtax any distro. For example I do not use compiz or samba so I have no idea how well these work. I find it does what I want quickly and well, and the help from the forum is really good.

What are the specs on your test laptop by the way? Does it have 4Gb+ of
RAM and a SSD?

It is a 10" HP mini laptop which I acquired from another lug member. In fact several other lug members also got one. It does have 4GB Ram, but not an SSD. (There are some suitable SSD's available but I have not bothered to get one.) I use it when I go away for a few days, eg on a mini break. I also use it as a sort of test bed. I can look up the exact model number if you are interested.

Neil