Re: [LUG] Is it just me or is Firefox starting to fall apart?

On 23/11/2018 08:32, Tom via list wrote:
> Getting all sorts of wierd errors and failures on FF these days.
>
> Is it just me?

Not this time, no. Mozilla Firefox 63.0.3 on Linux has been a dumpster
fire here. It's better with a clean profile (duh) but obviously that's
not the point - my computers would no doubt also run better if I simply
wiped everything off them so the programs could run free and
unencumbered by useless stuff like user data, configuration and history :|

Think I'm having one of those bad months so maybe I'm just being grumpy
but I'm really starting to wonder about the state of the art these days
in computing. I know most of you don't have to deal with this stuff but
from a sysadmin perspective Windows has been absolute murder this year -
constant failures and critical bugs, outages, pulled updates... They're
not even trying with QA any more. A lot of the general software
ecosystems I use and am heavily involved/invested in seem to be straying
a bit too far into the "move fast and break things" approach these days.
I've even had issues with the linux kernel, zfs, docker and some other
big ticket items relatively recently. The amount of time I spend wading
through bugtrackers, Microsoft or Apple forums, googling furiously to
track down constant little issues, etc does seem to be ever-increasing.

But it's not like I've got actual metrics or anything and subjective
grumbling isn't really a lot to go on so perhaps I am just being grumpy.
I certainly don't want to go back to the good 'ol days either and it's
not like I'm going to stop using any of this stuff but constant
fire-fighting is getting really wearing.

Back to fixing Firefox I suppose - it's just been spiking constantly to
100% and back for five minutes in htop whilst I was typing this.

Cheers