Re: [LUG] LUGmas 2018!

On 26/11/2018 13:34, Keith Abraham wrote:
> On 24/11/2018 17:29, Andy Wills wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm thinking of holding a LUGmas meeting at my flat in Sutton Harbour
>> (near
>> Barbican in Plmouth), with mulled wine, minced pies, etc. The default
>> date
>> would be the 22nd December, but is that too close to Christmas for
>> people? The
>> alternative would be to hold it the week before ie. 15th December.
>>
>> If you're planning to come, could you reply to me (or the list) soon,
>> saying
>> which week would be preferrable for you? I'll make a decision on the
>> basis of
>> what I hear between now and Friday.
>>
>> All the best
>>
>> Andy
>>
> I'd love to come but I can't. I'm stuck here on the North West coast,
> just north of Workington.
>
> Cumbria seems to be a dead area for linux. It's 12 years since I moved
> from Plymouth. Then there was some active LUGs but now it's virtually a
> wasteland. No idea why they collapsed. The nearest LUG is (Blackpool I
> think) and few LUGs are as active as good old DCLUG.
>
> Luckily I have a neighbour who dual boots (I'm linux only). So do I have
> someone I can talk to. Although as I've been a linux user since at least
> 2001 it's a bit one-sided. But neither of us know of any other linux
> users in our area.
>
> Have a great meet and enjoy the mince pies hopefully washed down with a
> warming drink of your choice.
>
> Keith

You are nearer to myself in Warrington, than I am to DC area.
While there is no active LUG near here (except I believe in Manchester)
I know of at least 3 people who only use Linux, in Culcheth, ex BNFL types.
While my wife and I use Linux, I also have capability to use Windows for
tutoring purposes.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald