Re: [LUG] Xfce Distro - part 2

On 17/11/2018 12:14, Neil wrote:
> Recently I asked for suggestions for a distro using Xfce as the DM. I
> had several helpful replies. Eventually I found MX Linux, which looked
> good. Reviews were very positive, and its DM was Xfce. So I tried it out
> on a small laptop I have, which is just for testing.
>
> Well, the distro itself is very good, and runs very fast indeed. But
> there is one fundamental problem. It cannot handle keyboard layouts and
> regions which are not American.
>
> When I started installing, as usual after the partition questions, it
> asked me for the keyboard layout and region. I said UK keyboard and
> London. These were both ignored. The next screen was for user name and
> passwords. Now I use some non alphanumeric characters in my passwords.
> When I tried to set them up it became obvious there was a problem.
> Eventually I realised that it was still assuming a US keyboard. (By the
> way, it asks for two passwords, logon and root.) I managed with this,
> however, and finished the install.
>
> Since then I have tried it out, and to save time, this is how it is
> working now. When I logon, it wants the correct password, but using a US
> keyboard layout. Anyway, I got past that. When I tried a GUI program
> which required a password, eg synaptic, it correctly accepted the root
> password via a UK keyboard layout.
>
> Then I tried out a terminal screen, using sudo. Eventually I worked out
> that it wanted the logon password, not root, but using a US keyboard
> layout. So I gave up.
>
> Linux has been around for 26 years now, and something as fundamental as
> using the correct keyboard layout and the correct region should just
> work. Indeed, I have found this to be no problem with any previous
> distros I have used. So I am sending this email to the list, not as a
> rant, but as a warning.
>
> As mentioned, all reviews I have seen have been positive. But, looking
> back I now realise that they were all American, so of course they had no
> problems with the keyboard and region. It is about time they realised
> that the majority of computer users in the world do not use a US keyboard.
>
> So, sadly, I must look elsewhere. Sorry for the long post,
>
> Neil

Use OpenSUSE LEAP 15 or OpenSUSE Tumbleweed with XFCE, this will allow
you to set language to UK / Keyboard to UK on set up and fix it at this.

 (As will other distros, even Knoppix (hard wire to USA keyboard)  a
Live Linux can set keyboard to UK on command line boot)

It (openSUSE , any desktop, including XFCE) always sets  on install the
language /area at what you want, effectively it installs two US and UK ,
you select UK. then if you want you can delete US , but I never bother
due to major experience when at work. [Sometimes you need to change to USA]

Work used Windows 7, all on a domain, (PRChina, Korea, Japan, USA and 20
at least other countries on same domain, each selecting their own
language and region)
One of my designers had a Windows log on with British / Irish characters
no problem on his chosen keyboard.
However one day his machine would not boot, (I as amateur IT local
office help) I needed to get his machine up and running , then (Indian)
outsourced IT helpdesk could soft out his software.

Problem from the local server I could see his machine but not log into
it. Server system only answered to a USA keyboard. Eventually I got in
(I forget how, but think I used ASCE codes). His machine was thereafter
sorted out. Thereafter I forbade any person in our office to use a
password where the characters were NOT-Common to both USA and UK keyboards.

The servers were world wide only answerable to USA key boards so UK/
USA/ Japan/ Koreas/ PR China/ India/  ROC etc all if needing work  from
server or on server only used a USA keyboard. (Globalisation). Servers
in UK / USA/ Koreas /Japan /PR China all were 'duplicates' and held
local and global back ups
--
regards
Eion MacDonald