Re: [LUG] Half Depth Server Wanted

On 09/11/2018 21:36, M. J. Everitt wrote:
> On 09/11/18 20:59, Dan Smith wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am currently on the lookout for a half depth server mainly for test
>> environments for both work and play.
>>
>> I am looking at something along the lines of Dell Poweredge R210 II
>> while it maybe a bit long in the tooth, it's not something I'm going
>> to be running 24/7 but a few hours a week at most, if that! Mainly
>> just for test bench VMs here and there.
>>
>> If anybody has or knows of somebody looking to get shot of one of
>> those or similar I'd be most grateful.

> Bargainhardware.co.uk. But you'll pay some decent money to get something
> half-decent, so beware, rack servers hold their value pretty well.

I love that site!

Depending on your budget you might find that the money is better spent
on a workstation. Actual servers sound great on paper until you get one
and find out just how crappy and noisy they are in your house :|

If you're only firing it up for a couple of hours a week it's not worth
it - spend the money on workstation bits and have all of that power
available 24/7 instead. If it's specifically to get used to server
hardware then fair enough - spend it on workstation bits anyway, there's
less difference than you might think these days. Unless you're willing
to spend a good few quid and actually make use of the server properly
I'd seriously question whether it's worth the committent...

Cheers

(recovering enterprise gear at home addict)