Re: [LUG] NVidia

On 29/10/18 17:24, M. J. Everitt wrote:
On 29/10/18 17:19, mr meowski wrote:
On 29/10/2018 17:05, M. J. Everitt wrote:
Well, I say this despite the fact I roll my own kernels (Yes, from
source!). I've been bitten by X not recognising the appropriate chipset,
although this may well be a poor xorg support once-upon-a-time thing. And I
compile that from source too .. (normally) .. but perhaps not bleeding edge
enough ..
Don't you use Gentoo normally? That kind of implies "I built in from
source" does it not! :]

I build my own too (debian style though, so I really do have to checkout
Linus' tree from git, merge a bunch of patches manually, fix some stuff,
compile yet more stuff in-tree and pray really hard as the debs build).
Are you on 4.19 yet? I'm having serious issues with the recurring
"Warnings from objtool while compiling the 'icp' kernel module:
"unsupported stack pointer realignment"" bug:

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/6950

Annoyingly 4.19 will build and install clean until ZFS modules enter the
picture and because my root is on ZFS, that's not good.

4.19.0-pf3 (my upstream patchset) is out today so I'm building another
one right now and if that doesn't work my job tonight is to dig into the
Gentoo and Arch sources to see if it's resolved there...

ghost@failbot:~/SRC/linux$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.18.0-pf10-meowski+ (ghost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc
version 8.2.0 (Ubuntu 8.2.0-1ubuntu2~18.04)) #1 SMP Sat Oct 20 18:23:30
BST 2018

Cheers
I'm being a right dinosaur here actually, and I'm sitting on mainly LTS 4.4
branches or 4.9.

I'm long overdue a major system overhaul, but not sure which way I'll go
yet. I have had some issues with the meltdown/spectre patches on one
system, so I've had to revert. I'm now running the ck patchset, which makes
a noticeable difference in performance/memory usage.
Next step is to change C library over to musl .. but that is a longer-term
plan, depending on when this Big Overhaul takes place ..

That said, I am loosely involved in the Gentoo kernel project, and am
working on the new CI framework for it, so I have access to some clever
people. Alas Greg K-H left Gentoo after the last hiatus (-sigh-) .. so we
can't poke him directly so easily any more.

MJE

Also anecdotally, one of the ZFS devs is a Gentoo dev also .. so if you can point to the specific issues, I can probably stir the pot a little ..
#zfsonlinux on Freenode IRC might be a resource to tap into.

MJE