Re: [LUG] NVidia

On 29/10/18 17:19, mr meowski wrote:
> On 29/10/2018 17:05, M. J. Everitt wrote:
>> Well, I say this despite the fact I roll my own kernels (Yes, from
>> source!). I've been bitten by X not recognising the appropriate chipset,
>> although this may well be a poor xorg support once-upon-a-time thing. And I
>> compile that from source too .. (normally) .. but perhaps not bleeding edge
>> enough ..
> Don't you use Gentoo normally? That kind of implies "I built in from
> source" does it not! :]
>
> I build my own too (debian style though, so I really do have to checkout
> Linus' tree from git, merge a bunch of patches manually, fix some stuff,
> compile yet more stuff in-tree and pray really hard as the debs build).
> Are you on 4.19 yet? I'm having serious issues with the recurring
> "Warnings from objtool while compiling the 'icp' kernel module:
> "unsupported stack pointer realignment"" bug:
>
> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/6950
>
> Annoyingly 4.19 will build and install clean until ZFS modules enter the
> picture and because my root is on ZFS, that's not good.
>
> 4.19.0-pf3 (my upstream patchset) is out today so I'm building another
> one right now and if that doesn't work my job tonight is to dig into the
> Gentoo and Arch sources to see if it's resolved there...
>
> ghost@failbot:~/SRC/linux$ cat /proc/version
> Linux version 4.18.0-pf10-meowski+ (ghost@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) (gcc
> version 8.2.0 (Ubuntu 8.2.0-1ubuntu2~18.04)) #1 SMP Sat Oct 20 18:23:30
> BST 2018
>
> Cheers
I'm being a right dinosaur here actually, and I'm sitting on mainly LTS 4.4
branches or 4.9.

I'm long overdue a major system overhaul, but not sure which way I'll go
yet. I have had some issues with the meltdown/spectre patches on one
system, so I've had to revert. I'm now running the ck patchset, which makes
a noticeable difference in performance/memory usage.
Next step is to change C library over to musl .. but that is a longer-term
plan, depending on when this Big Overhaul takes place ..

That said, I am loosely involved in the Gentoo kernel project, and am
working on the new CI framework for it, so I have access to some clever
people. Alas Greg K-H left Gentoo after the last hiatus (-sigh-) .. so we
can't poke him directly so easily any more.

MJE