Re: [LUG] More scam emails

I've used unique passwords for a while.

The scammers saying "I have your password" that I've seen recently got it from
the Adobe hack who were storing passwords in the clear in 2013 (sigh),
including their Echosign product (which is what I used to sign a document).

So now you know how reliable an Echosign signature was in 2013.

Some of the others are using passwords from before I started using fully
unique passwords, which means they are truly ancient and you really must start
using a password manager if all your current passwords are not yet unique.

About the only thing we can be sure of is they didn't get it the way they
described.

If you run a service and must store user passwords, and you are writing your
own authentication (tip, try very hard no to do this, as you will almost
certainly do it wrongly), use a scheme that repeatedly hashes the password
whilst mixing in a random salt (such as Scrypt, or Bcrypt), then have the
scheme audited by someone who knows what they are doing.

I'm also a fan of schemes where you don't store a password for each user,
especially a user chosen password.