Re: [LUG] Control your own data

On 04/10/2018 07:55, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Eion
>
> No I don't and you are correct, it is risky. I am still recovering from
> illness and not always able to implement these changes. The drugs I am
> on affect nerves and my brain gets affected badly. I am going to try to
> get some sync thingy going.
>
> ---
> Kind Regards
> This message was brought to you by the numbers 0 and 1.
> Rich
> https://gwyls.co.uk/
> https://gwyls.co.uk/rich-blog/
>
> On 2018-10-03 18:26, Eion MacDonald wrote:
>> On 03/10/2018 10:07, Richard Brown wrote:
>>> I am using my main computer as a storage for all files, photos, movies
>>> and music. I haven't started the process of sharing yet.
>>
>> Do you mean you have no back up whatsoever?  That would be risky.
>>
>> --
>> regards
>> Eion MacDonald

I would worry about a "sync thingy" as these sometimes do not work.
"I am going to try to
 get some sync thingy going."
Case:
Absolute fine synchronisation ability set up.
Synchronisation to the 'store' done say daily at night time.
Bad operations during one day, close down
That night the 'bad result is synchronised to the supposed back up!
Next day any try to bring back form synchronised back up returns the bad
files not the good originals.
That cost one company I was involve in a lot of time and money.

Thereafter, we made 3 separate back ups and stored.
1)local back up  to on line hard disc stored nightly, effectively a
synchronisation task after business closing.

This is susceptible to any false work, malware, etc downloaded / email
physhing incoming mail during the day by an employee OR real '@@@@-up'
by an administrator

2)  A separate weekly back up to different external hard disc, kept off
site  but locally; (one brought onsite to do back up and then returned
off site) and the two discs swapped weekly. So we have a 'fresh back up
and a one week old back up in store This was run on a Saturday when
office was closed,  doer on overtime rate)

3) Head office back up. One back up run to an external hard disk and
posted to head office. Done monthly. Same two disc idea as weekly local
off site back up. The major emergency fall back!

Personal
1) A back up to external hard disc of all personal data, done about once
per month.
Risk it is that both commuter and back up is in house so a house fire
would lose computer and back up.

2) Minimum back up: Copy insurance policies, driver's licences, family
passports, last bank statements on USB key kept up to date and always
carried on me.

Might this be of use to you.

--
regards