Re: [LUG] Control your own data

On 03/10/18 10:07, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using my main computer as a storage for all files, photos, movies
> and music. I haven't started the process of sharing yet. Is it worth
> doing something like this for a home network please?

This new Solid project is for managing your interactions with online
services such as Facebook, Google, Apple - well, everyone really - and
attempting to control how much of your personal data is exposed to them.
Think of it as an attempt at implementing a "data privacy API" if you
like, which can be used to broker and hopefully control third party
access to your personal information.

You're talking about setting up filesharing between different devices in
your own house which is a completely different thing and fortunately,
much easier to deal with.

Definitely stay well away from Solid at the moment - it's an interesting
project but it's alpha stage software that nobody (except Tom!) is using
and its doomed to failure anyway because it won't work. Sadly.

Cheers