Re: [LUG] DNS

hi

there are 2 meaningful parts.

the registration
and the record.

The registration is managed by a top level  domain registrar eg godaddy, reg123 etc.

Moving the registration is only done if your giving total control of the domain to
another person/entity.

The record, is often also held by the same company that you register the domain with
but you can choose a 3rd party ie dyndns or your own server (insert effort) . you
control this with both an account to the respective webcontrol panel or server login
to edit the record.

If your just giving partial control, just reconfigure the ns record to point to the
new nameserver. (as setup by the new manager)

why? the two parts are linked via the ns (nameserver) record.

the registrar record definition points to the authoritive record for your domain.

ie the registrar manages a part of .co.uk namespace and defines an ns record for
‘mydomain’

the dns query passes the query to that specific nameserver to query the next level
of detail .... and so on and on until resolved.

Sent from my iPhone