Re: [LUG] DNS

On Fri, Sep 28, 2018 at 08:48:57PM +0100, Richard Brown wrote:
> I am in an email conversation with somebody who is taking over some
> sites. He is asking for the nameservers and DNS records as two
> separate things. Am I being thick because I thought DNS stood for
> domain name servers. Is asking for the same thing twice. The reason
> I ask is because I sent him the nameserver records and he has come
> back and said I need the dns as well.

DNS stands for Domain Name _System_ (rather then Servers).

The name servers for a given domain are the servers that are
authoritative for that domain, which means that these servers have the
final say on DNS responses for a particular domain. If you own the
domain and you make a DNS change, you do this by making a change to the
name servers. (In practice, this is usually done through the web
interface of your domain registrar.)

By running

  dig +short ns dcglug.org.uk

you see the two name servers for the dcglug.org.uk domain. It is here
where, for example, is stored that www.dcglug.org.uk is an alias
('CNAME' in DNS speak) for dcglug.org.uk and that the latter points to
the IP address 46.43.9.117, which is what your browser needs to know if
it wants to access the LUG website.

I hope this clears up the confusion (a bit).

Martijn