Re: [LUG] Recommendations on getting started with electronics.

Hello Gordon,

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 02:04:48PM +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2018, Dom Rodriguez wrote:
>
> > Hello Gordon,

> > > Since you live in Reading, why don't you go the Reading hackspace:
> >
> > With all due respect, I would rather that you *didn't* disclose that
> > information on this list in future. Thank you.
>
> It was on your twitter feed for a very long time. It's not exactly private
> information.

OK.

> > Originally, I asked a question on tips/suggestions to get involved
> > with electronics. Further to that, I'm afraid I fail to see why/how my
> > choice of medium to pose my question to, and/or my whereabouts are
> > relevant
>
> This is the Devon & Conrnwall LUG list. We have regular meetings at
> various locations over Devon & Cornwall. Additionally, we have
> FabLabs, coder dojo's and so on. Face to face is a very good way to
> learn. Are you willing to travel to Devon to meet us?

If I could, I would - at this moment in time, travel is not advisable
for myself. This is for the same reasons I was not able to get to the
Torbay Tech Jam.

Thanks to Paul's response, I have now placed an order for the
electronics starter kit that Paul recommended. Thanks to Paul for his reply,

> If not, then why not contact your local groups. You have a local LUG
> and an active hackspace. both would be excellent places to start.

As I said in my reply to Paul's email, I'm in the process of
contacting local groups as well.

In case anyone is wondering, *yes*, I know I don't live in Devon or
Cornwall. I first got involved in the area with the Torbay Tech Jam,
remotely.

I emailed this list as it seemed to be substantially more active, and
appears to be well maintained in contrast to local LUG lists in my
area. Its rather a shame that my local LUG lists are not very active
compared to this list, which is why I am subscribed to the list as
well. I recognise, that to a certain extent, geographical proximity to
the DCGLUG area is important, but as I tend to just interact via the
email address and IRC, I don't think that's a huge concern from my
end.

I felt that I had a better chance of being able to get a wide
range of views on beginning with electronics. Thanks to Paul, I have
now ascertained some views on that.

I appreciate your views nevertheless. Perhaps we can leave this
particular conversation behind us. :-)

> Gordon
>

> --

Best regards,