Re: [LUG] AV state of play

On 09/06/18 23:40, Paul Sutton wrote:

OR

Use DVDs and take a USB DVD reader to set up their machines. Thus you
get no malware from them and yo u know what is on DVD.

This DVD caper is how I distribute stuff to learners at my tutorial
class, (avoids my USB keys carrying stuff) or send it by email to them.
They use their own USB keys to copy to and hold course stuff.

So what do you teach?,  I am guessing computer related learning

Paul

A big question. Data for you.
Partial summary.
1. Library volunteer.
One to one tuition in use of computers at local library and help to those using library computers. This is mostly now seniors (retired or unemployed). Originally also job seekers from job centre who were IT illiterate (but has declined, as they need a lot more than occasional tuition).

Older folk unemployed (redundant or such) to enable them to use computers and thus apply for and obtain jobs and deal with local and central government. Many have never used any form of computer, and do not understand how their phone works as it was set up by a shop many years ago. Often they do not know their passwords to set up email and thus cannot transfer email to a big screen computer in library. Some help to stroke sufferers (library is below a brain damage medical centre in same building) to use computer assisted programs, voice readers, enlarged text , text readers etc. This is the most difficult task as levels of memory and comprehension are much effected. Example comprehension is good only for very short sentences, so browser news items are impractical.

General computer security and use to library users (PCs [library ones], laptops, tablets, phones).

Best rewards.
I got a redundant man (50+) into using his phone to apply for and he got a job. He did not know how to use his email on his phone and had no computer experience or exposure at all. An 80+aged lady who had no experience whatsoever, to use and enjoy a computer given to her. Emails, music, browsing. She now uses it to get her TaiChi [åææ] lessons (also I introduced her to Taiwanese and Chinese music groups as I have spent long periods in these regions when I worked for a living).

2. U3A Computer Group.
'Tutor' to elderly folk (over 55) who join U3A and want some computer learning they want to know about computer use and safety, banking, buying, email etc. Many are 'scared' to use computers! General basic stuff, office programs (I tend to use LibreOffice), email safety, encryption, password security and how to keep separate passwords. Browser use, introduce DuckDuckGo as non tracking search engine, Add Blockers, (only some can get up to handling NoScript).
Updating OSs (Windows 10 Home update systems give problems!)

Re-use older computers on Linux to save cost of a new one when MS OS is EOLd. (Mostly Ubuntu LTS XFCE, to avoid them having to download a yearly update DVD to keep using) While I use OpenSUSE, the yearly update done via DVD or USB is beyond many. How to set their computers so their grandchildren cannot get at unsafe or addictive stuff when 'playing on grandma's computer. On Windows machines setting up restore points, and recovery discs (very few know this and can get locked out of non-booting machines.

Most difficult thing to teach is basic security!

Live Linux use for banking.
[I used Knoppix from days of 'one floppy disc' to access and make a usable computer in COMECON (USSR), PRC etc. when I was on my travels, so I could leave written instructions on operation and mods and points when dealing with machinery in nuclear power stations (USSR/RF) and petrochemical plants (USSR/FR, PRC, Japan, Koreas etc)]
I am a strong advocate of Knoppix for an everyday usable Live Linux.

PS. I do not teach 'code'. My years of machine coding in the 1950s are long behind me!

It gives me an interest, and keeps the brain ticking over; and lets me get to know a fair few interesting folk.
--

regards
Eion MacDonald