Re: [LUG] AV state of play

On 09/06/18 09:30, Tom via list wrote:
I've just realised I will be thrusting USBs in and out of CoderDojo participants laptops etc and thought I'd better get up to date with current AV state of play.

Thoughts please

Tom te tom te tom

First, get an Anti-virus on a USB stick, and use it with them at first instance to run an AV check on their machines instance or teach them how to do it themselves.
It could be long session.

Check if they have an AV program (free one is better than none).

Give them a  DVD:
Kaspersky Rescue Disk 2018 18.0.11.0

This runs Kaspersky AV, without loading it permanently, but needs an internet connection to update database of AV signatures, or teach them to do a AV check themselves. Their laptops should be set to check USB for AV on loading (if they are Windows machines with an AV program this is possible)

Check your USBs against malware.

OR

Use DVDs and take a USB DVD reader to set up their machines. Thus you get no malware from them and yo u know what is on DVD.

This DVD caper is how I distribute stuff to learners at my tutorial class, (avoids my USB keys carrying stuff) or send it by email to them. They use their own USB keys to copy to and hold course stuff.

--
regards
Eion MacDonald