Re: [LUG] Facebook page

On 07/06/18 09:28, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On Thu, Jun 7, 2018, 09:09 psutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am sure given recent news reports people are starting to think about dumping facebook, so how can we help people, ?

Paul

You say that, but even after the initial uproar around Cambridge Analytica the majority of Facebook users didn't stop using Facebook.

I really think it is worth maintaining a presence on the biggest social media network, and by maintaining I do mean posting things to it periodically and adding our events to it. I'm not saying we should all be Facebook users, I'm not saying we should be praising Facebook as the lord of all things, I'm not saying we should even be using it as a primary platform... just that we should keep our presence there as a means to be visible and hopefully attract some more new members.

I am a Facebook user. I find it a useful platform to keep in touch with friends and to gain business contacts and leads... because my friend are on it as are my business contacts and leads. There is a *very* good chance that there are people locally who use Facebook who have an interest in Linux, or at least they've heard about it and are curious, but have no knowledge of the LUG. If only there was a way to get our name in front of those Facebook users...

If you (not you specifically, Paul, but the impersonal 3rd person pronoun "you") are not happy to use Facebook then nobody is forcing you to do so. Ooh, look at that... freedom of choice being discussed on a Linux mailing list... who'd've thought it.

Grant. :)

I agree, i am not on fb but we should be able to make some use of all platforms, even if we make more use of free platforms over but at the same time make sure if we promote news stories about privacy etc maybe users will think more about what they post (or how much personal info) on fb if nothing else that could be a good thing.

I have just added both the Plymouth and Holsworthy meet to twitter if we can fix the integration and create a script to post events automatically then that will go a long long way to making social media use by the lug easier and quicker as I appreciate people are busy with work, family and the whole point of a shell script for example is i guess to make life easier.

by auto mating posting of meetings we can then concentrate on other content.

Paul

Paul
--
Paul Sutton