Re: [LUG] CoderDojo Plymouth

On 24/05/18 09:14, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 24 May 2018, Chris Tipney wrote:

HI Gordon,

On 24/05/2018 07:04, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 23 May 2018, Chris Tipney wrote:

The whole part of this ramble (apologies for taking so long to get here) is that as I'm sure you all know the Dojos are run entirely by volunteers at no cost to the kids (ages 7 to 17) - so I would be grateful for any help from the knowledgable folk who I know inhabit this list :-) Gordon you listening - they knew you were funnily enough!

I didn't know about it and wasn't invited to it. Probably because I do not, and never will "code" in scratch or Python.

Gordon

Despite the name it's not just about coding - maybe you would be interested in one of these subjects:

http://kata.coderdojo.com/wiki/Home_Page

Some of the fun things don't even invlove a computer of any sort.

Not really interested anymore.

Mostly because the stuff I do for real (and get paid good money for) are miles apart from the things the 'dojo wants to be involved with.

E.g. Arduino - I do not use c++ for real-time embedded applcations. The Arduino platform is, frankly, an abomination and does not encourage good programming (or hardware!) skills whatsoever.

I do use the Arduino hardware platform, but usually for prototyping - I then go on to develop my own hardware, or at least my own shields for the Arduino where appropriate.

The bbc microbit is too closely linked to Microsoft and Python too.

So my view is that things like the dojo ought to be viewed as a nice little club, but leave the real world teaching to schools and universities.
Up to that point I would agree with you. My daughters are being 'taught' IT by someone who knows nothing about it. I've spoken to several teachers and all they seem to be able to share is their fear of it. I spoke to a teacher involved in coordinating code teaching and the basic problem is none of the teachers have any IT experience. Kids ask them questions they cannot answer. As for universities - I've mentored someone with a 2.1 in computer science from a red brick uni who didn't know how to debug a program!
It needs people with experience in there.
Tom te tom te tom