Re: [LUG] Looking for someone with Ubuntu, MySQL, apache experience

On 12/04/18 13:52, Dorian Pascoe wrote:

Hi,

I'm interested in finding someone with Linux experience, relatively local to Totnes.  We're looking to set up two open source school management packages: Gibbon and Fedena.  We've already "played" with two other FOSS school management packages which were previously set up on the server, but it would be great to start some proper testing and trials soon, so we'd like to get our other two "contenders" up and running!  We're looking at getting someone in to set this up, so I would love to hear from anyone that has relevant experience (e.g. Apache, MySQL).

FYI: This is part of a larger project to roll out FOSS software, using older reclaimed / donated / ex-office hardware across the school and the majority of our machines are already Linux boxes.  Once the school management system is in place, we will be looking to build on our current systems - e.g. "Veyon" as a replacement for the "Epoptes" lab management software we are currently using, SMB shares for staff storage etc.  We are also hoping to produce a "how to" to help other schools implement FOSS systems, when we have a more complete whole-school solution in place.

Please do get in touch if this is of interest.

Thanks!

Dorian

Delighted to hear about this, and hope you can showcase what can be achieved without paying big bucks to the big corps.

I do a certain amount of development-related stuff for Gentoo Linux on-the-side, and know people working with various production technologies in various 'big places' so if you get stuck, or would like to get into Gentoo, drop me a line.

Good luck, and look forward to hearing of your progress, both locally and less-locally in the future!!
Best regards,

Michael Everitt.