Re: [LUG] Portable routers

On 21/03/18 10:00, Simon Avery wrote:
    Thanks for the info. I have looked into it a bit more, and I now
    think I understand how they work. For me it would be unnecessarily
    expensive, with no real benefit.

They had a very short lived niche. Then smart phones started including functionality to act as a portable hotspot which does everything these do and you're already carrying it.

There may still be some very specific use cases where they are desirable without a smart phone attached, but for most folk, not so much. Certainly my phone works just fine to hotspot for my laptop when I'm away from home.

Thanks for the info again. There are still plenty of these routers being advertised. I take your point about smart phones. However, I don't use one. I do have a mobile phone, but not a smart one. I do realise that I am a bit unusual here.

Neil