Re: [LUG] Portable routers

On 20/03/18 15:12, Julian Hall wrote:
I assume performance dives with multiple users? If a bit slow with a single user it could get very slow with multiple users.

Julian

While the mifi devices support multiple devices I don't think the general target is to support multiple users, more like one person with a laptop, tablet, phone etc...

The main issue with using a 3G (HSPA+) dongle that I find is that if your signal is not constant and strong then the device is spending more time switching between modulations than it does transferring data, and this seems to result in a pretty stuttery performance (even with just one user).

Having said that, if you have a strong, consistent 4G signal in the vicinity of one of these then it seems to support pretty good basic use (web browsing, chat, internet voice calling, even video calling). I'd expect that as soon as a user goes to download a couple of large ISOs simultaneously then there is going to be some congestion.

BTW - I've only had the 3G modulation issue (e.g. where your phone switches from HSPA --> HSPA+ then back to HSPA) in the UK. When I used to use one in Spain I didn't have that problem, might be due to implementation or radio signal regulation in the UK.

Someone made a comment about cost, I have an old contract for 15GB per month for just under Â16 a month, which is fine for occasional use, and 15GB is enough for what I use it for - that was with "3" network. I'm pretty sure that if you go with someone like BT it is a bit more expensive, but on the upside I think they bundle in access to BTwifi hotspots, which are quite prevalent wherever you go these days.