Re: [LUG] Persistent USB (sorry, no sublect in last message)

On 27/02/18 14:03, aaron moore wrote:

Your technique is exquisite

Please to check out my new website: www.cnccraft.co.uk
Tel: 01209 890084
Mob: 07805686188
Email:aaronmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent:ÂMonday, February 26, 2018 at 4:13 PM
From:Â"M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@xxxxxxx>
To:Âlist@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject:ÂRe: [LUG] Persistent USB (sorry, no sublect in last message)
On 26/02/18 15:16, mr meowski wrote:
> On 26/02/18 09:06, aaron moore wrote:
>> Hi Lug
>> Well, I am now the proud owner of 5 reconditioned Dell lap tops and
>> intend to dual boot them with Ubuntu. Am I right in thinking that if I
>> work up a persistent usb start up thumb drive and load it with all my
>> favourite softwares i will then be able to install Ubuntu plus
>> favourites in one go? Any advice on this gratefully received.
>> Kind rgards
> Cool, what did you get in the end?
>
> What exactly are you trying to accomplish here though - an automated
> installation (you want kickstart for that), a pre-built customised image
> with an answer file (you want pre-seed for that) or 100% identical
> software+configs dumped onto every machine (you want to clone a small
> finished image to each machine for that, and then adjust the partitions
> to fit afterwards)?
>
> Or as you're setting up a mini lab/classroom sort of scenario do you
> want to get the laptops all setup perfectly as "class laptops #1 through
> #5" and then lock 'em down so you can restore them to exactly the same
> state after every session? (you'll want a client/server architecture for
> that, probably with a boot server and NFS mounts). There are equivalents
> to the Windows "deepfreeze" management software to lock down and manage
> Linux systems so naughty little users can't muck anything up too much.
>
> The one thing I'm reasonably sure of is that your Dells have come with
> OEM Windows licenses/software on them that you understandably don't want
> to wipe and lose but you'd prefer them to run Ubuntu. Obviously you
> don't fancy doing the same near-identical manual install on all 5 of
> them one after the other either, hence automation time.
>
> Explain exactly what your end goal is and everything will be much clearer...
>
> Cheers
+1
The plan is to set up a small digital training studio, with about 4 or 5 participants at a time. I want to dual boot the laptops with Ubuntu and install software like inkscape, librecad, freecad, sheetcam, blender, and others, plus a number of plugins/extensions, and obviously I don't want to have to do it 5 times. Also, it will probaly change over time and it would be good to keep them all the same.
At the moment I have a basic owncloud set up where all job files are shared to all computers. I am sure there are better ways of doing this but it works for me. Not sure about 'locking them down'. Why would it be necessary?Â

I'm not good at code, I could probaly manage a simple scrip, but would prefer a nice gui!
Hope that gives a better picture.
Thanks
Aaron

Aaron I would suggest the easy way is simply to maintain a list of apps/extensions you wish to load above and beyond a normal Ubuntu install.

The you can do an install, enable ssh, and then log in over ssh and then you can cut and paste a

sudo apt-get install inkscape librecad freecam sheetcam blender ...

into each one. I've done this where the list is a couple of hundred packages and when you update it and run it on an 'old' machine it just tells you some packages are already installed and installs the rest.

If you live on a slow BB you can enable a repositiry proxy on the 'first' to install and this will speed the updates/installs on the others.

Tom te tom te tom