Re: [LUG] HTTPS

Martin Gautier wrote:

> On 21/02/18 11:58, Tom via list wrote:
>> I was just about to ask about Certification for a friend who was
>> getting pissed off with his hosting provider wanting ÃÂ100 per site for
>> certification when let me know he found this:
>>
>> https://letsencrypt.org/

> Yes, letsencrypt are a good choice. It's a pain to set up on ISP hosting
> that don't supply the feature (and might not even be possible - they
> need to gouge you somehow, certs are a good option for them). I've moved
> from Fasthosts to Cloudways for that reason.

Whilst Â100 sounds a lot, I worked for a company where we charged a
substantial fee for enabling this. We quickly automated the initial deploy
a certificate to the point the purchase enabled the service. But you were
typically dealing with e-commerce sites who want at least some assistance
in ensuring they had done HTTPS correctly, and for them Â100 was nothing
compared to assurance that they were selling goods online.

Also the price we were paying for certificates wholesale meant we weren't
exactly ranking in a huge amount (okay we were on CO.UK domain names, but
that meant dealing with Nominet, which must have cost 2 or 3 thousand a
year before you sold any domains just keeping up with their ever changing
processes).

As always time has moved on and advantages of scale mean that this is now
effectively a zero marginal cost item for large players, but there are
still fixed costs there, and not everyone's fixed costs are swallowed up
by insane venture capitalists chasing the dream.