Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi Mail Server

Hi,

Julian Hall <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm thinking of setting up a mail server for my domain on a spare
> Raspberry Pi I have - not because I need to but just something I would
> like to try. I found a website with detailed instructions to setup
> Postfix and Dovecot which /seems/ straightforward. However before I
> potentially waste time on something that will never work, one basic
> question comes to mind. Will it interfere with the mail service
> provided by my current host, Easyspace? Logic suggests it could but
> then I am brand new to this.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Just a quick response, if you're hosting your Raspberry Pi mail
server on a residential connection (e.g: from home), you're gonna have
a bad time -- residential connections generally aren't the best way to
host, because a) potentially blocked TCP ports, b) dynamic external
IP, messes up with the DNS for your mail server, c) potential
violation of ISP ToC, to name a few.

I'd recommend, if you /really/ want your own mail server, doing it on
a reputable VPS.

I've hosted my own email for a few years, but recently I've given up
on it and gone back to my domain registrar's email services.. I just
didn't have the time to manage my own self-hosted email
**effectively**, and/or give it the care it needs.

--
Best regards,
Dom Rodriguez (shymega / dzr).