Re: [LUG] Repurposing an old iMac into a Linux m/c

Thank you for your prompt and comprehensive reply. The way forward has put me on a steep learning curve which was not helped by an episode of vertigo brought about by some underfloor diy!

So far:

1. My iMac is definitely a vanilla iMac 6.1. Although believed to have been bought early 2007, I think my models is the last of the late 2006 white plastic ones.
2. My current version of OS X is 10.6.8 with no option for further upgrades so I will attempt to convert the iMac to a single boot Linux m/c.
3.  I have repurposed a firewire/usb 1 TB drive and used Carbon Copy Cloner to produce a bootable backup. I have tested the backup.
4. I have tried to flash the 1.4 EFI, but the installer repeatedly tells me I don't need the update and gives me no option to proceed.
5. Pursing this problem further, I have learned that the Mac 6.1 has a 32bit EFI and that it is possibly the reason why EFI 1.4 cannot be updated onto my Mac.
6. I found a website https://mattgadient.com/2016/07/11/linux-dvd-images-and-how-to-for-32-bit-efi-macs-late-2006-models/#comments which addresses this problem, but as yet I do not fully understand the proposed solution.

Is the 32 bit EFI issue a real how stopper ( I presume its a hardware issue) to building a linux m/c, or this track worth pursing?

Regards Mike