Re: [LUG] OT: Fwd: Latest windows security update is bricking AMD-based PCs

On 13/01/18 21:51, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 04:42:47PM +0000, mr meowski wrote:
>> The signal to noise ratio on the whole Spectre/Meltdown situation is
>> untenable at the moment so I seriously advise just ignoring all the
>> sensationalist and uninformed crap flying around online and wait for
>> calmer, saner professional heads to chime in with rock solid information
>> over the coming few days. Our very own Martijn Grooten for example
>> actually works in the security industry and hopefully may pop in with a
>> clear and concise summary from the frontline at some point (hint hint
>> Martijn!)
> Oh, hello. Still reading the list, despite not having set foot in the
> West Country for several years now.
>
> Anyway, I think the sensible advice for average users is to just install
> patches whenever they come available and not to worry too much about it
> apart from that. Much as the vulnerabilities sound scary, they're
> unlikely going to be used widely. Running an out-of-date Flash Player,
> or a remotely accessible router with a hardcoded default password, are
> far bigger risks for most users.
>
> If you're running more advanced systems/networks, you should of course
> test the patches before rolling them out, as there have been reports of
> some systems crashing after a patch was installed. And if you're running
> heavy-load servers, you may actually notice some difference in
> performance.
>
> Martijn.

I think running system updates when available should also keep flash
updated too, I am running mint so the updates also tell me what the
update is for, not just on the package level but if it fixes or
replaces / mitigates a specific issue.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net

Torbay Tech Jam - 2nd Saturday of the Month at Paignton Library