Re: [LUG] Merry Christmas All.. automount problem with kernel 4.13 on Mint 18.3

On 30/12/17 23:35, Julian Hall wrote:
On 30/12/17 17:40, mr meowski wrote:
On 29/12/17 21:44, Julian Hall wrote:
On 29/12/17 19:10, Julian Hall wrote:
julian@Cerce ~ $ sudo dpkg -i | grep autofs
[sudo] password for julian:
dpkg: error: --install needs at least one package archive file argument

That doesn't seem to want to play.
Whoops - sorry that was me being dumb. Should have been:

dpkg -l | grep autofs

But I don't think that's going to be installed anyway, or if it is, it's
a red herring.
No response so I assume you're right on that.
Very quick update.. just come back in and started the computer.. now I
have two CASSIOPEIAs on the desktop, a drive icon and a network share
icon as in my earlier screenshots.
Ok, I think we've established that the problem is a cosmetic one at this
point, rather than a functional one. After rebooting your machine is now
clearly doing what it's supposed to be doing and is successfully
mounting CASSIOPEIA during boot via systemd. You can see it in your
copy/paste:

â media-julian-CASSIOPEIA.mount - /media/julian/CASSIOPEIA
ÂÂÂ Loaded: loaded (/etc/fstab; bad; vendor preset: enabled)
ÂÂÂ Active: active (mounted) since Fri 2017-12-29 19:03:08 GMT; 20s ago
ÂÂÂÂ Where: /media/julian/CASSIOPEIA
ÂÂÂÂÂ What: 192.168.1.3:/volume1/CASSIOPEIA
ÂÂÂÂÂ Docs:man:fstab(5)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ man:systemd-fstab-generator(8)
ÂÂ Process: 2969 ExecMount=/bin/mount 192.168.1.3:/volume1/CASSIOPEIA
/media/juli

Dec 29 19:03:08 Cerce systemd[1]: Mounting /media/julian/CASSIOPEIA...
Dec 29 19:03:08 Cerce systemd[1]: Mounted /media/julian/CASSIOPEIA.
You don't need to manually start or restart the unit file now, systemd
will take care of it as needed. After a fresh boot do:

systemctl status mnt-nfs.mount
ls -alh /media/julian/CASSIOPEIA
systemctl status mnt-nfs.mount

You should have both a mounted NFS filesystem as expected and clear
success information from systemctl. If not, there might still be a
conflicting unit file we need to track down and kill off.
The share (and other desktop icon) both already mounted on boot, so I then ran the commands as below:

julian@Cerce ~ $ systemctl status mnt-nfs.mount
â mnt-nfs.mount
ÂÂ Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
ÂÂ Active: inactive (dead)
julian@Cerce ~ $ ls -alh /media/julian/CASSIOPEIA
total 7.1M

*directory listing*

julian@Cerce ~ $ systemctl status mnt-nfs.mount
â mnt-nfs.mount
ÂÂ Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
ÂÂ Active: inactive (dead)
julian@Cerce ~ $

Is that inactive referring to the network again?
The problem seems not so much to be that the NFS mount isn't happening
now - although you do still need to confirm that - but that your desktop
environment is doing something weird. You're using Cinnamon on Mint
right?
Correct.
Is it not the case that you've manually created shortcut icons on
your desktop for your three NFS mounts and you've also turned on
something like the "show network" and "show mounted filesystems" options
in the Cinnamon control panel?
No to both. I've definitely not created any shortcuts manually. 'Show Mounted Volumes' is turned on and 'Show Network' is off; both must be defaults as I've not touched them. As for how the original three icons got there I assume Cinnamon generated them when the shares were mounted.
ls -alh ~/Desktop
julian@Cerce ~ $ ls -alh ~/Desktop
total 22M
drwxr-xr-x 2 julian julian 4.0K Dec 29 13:15 .
drwxr-xr-x 55 julian julian 4.0K Dec 30 23:19 ..
-rw-r--r--Â 1 julian julian 2.1M Sep 13 14:00 Dial Up Sound (HD) - YouTube.webm
-rw-r--r-- 1 julian julian 227 Oct 27 17:10 speedtest.txt
julian@Cerce ~ $

Cheers,

Julian

Still not working. I've tried enabling it using Network Manager as advised in one forum, and adding options in the fstab to wait until the network is up as on another. My last gambit was to try the advice here:

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/475956-mounting-nfs-not-working-at-boot

I created a file in /etc/systemd/system/ named 192.168.1.3:-volume1-CASSIOPEIA.mount with the content

[Unit] Description=/media/julian/CASSIOPEIA Wants=rpc-statd.service After=network.target rpc-statd.service [Mount] What=192.168.1.3:/volume1/CASSIOPEIA Where=/media/julian/CASSIOPEIA Type=nfs

That hasn't worked either. I was a bit unsure of the file name so I also tried Zeus-volume1-CASSIOPEIA with the content changed to match, but no joy. For now I've taken all the options out of the fstab lines and just run sudo mount -a when I boot up. It's a pain but it works.

Kind regards,

Julian