Re: [LUG] Fedora to ???

On 06/01/18 11:56, Peter Walker wrote:

> On 06/01/18 10:56, leloft wrote:
>> On Fri, 5 Jan 2018 13:51:10 +0000
>> Richard Brown <rich@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> The other task I want to do is to keep my home directory and share
>>> between the 2 installs. How easy is it to do that please?
>> It's easy if you have installed /home on its own partition...
>>
>> But I would not do that until I was confident that the problems would
>> not also be thus shared.
> One other thing to note about sharing your home directory. Most of the config for
> your desktop and applications is stored there so could get a bit messy if you have
> different setups for each install.
> As Fraser said, problems with plugins etc. would be carried between installs.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

I agree, sharing a /home folder between 2 systems would be messy,ÂÂ
however how about (if this is possible) having a shared documents area,Â
so mount a partition as /shared, both systems have access to this,ÂÂ
clearly i think you also need the same user name otherwise it causes
issues with file ownership.ÂÂ

It would be like having a shared media folder so music can be accessed
from either system,ÂÂ however you can do the same thing with an external
hard disk,ÂÂÂ I can unmount then unplug mine and then plug in to my
netbook to access certain files on the odd occasion I need to.

Paul

--
Paul Sutton
http://www.zleap.net

Torbay Tech Jam - 2nd Saturday of the Month at Paignton Library