Re: [LUG] Fedora to ???

On 05/01/18 19:25, Daniel Robinson wrote:
> I believe the "cool" thing to do is, install a stable distribution,
> something you're comfortable with... Ubuntu LTS would be perfect, then
> install some sort of VMware and use that for testing, internet browsing,
> servers etc...

Well I'd say that's kind of the antithesis of "cool" these days - the
cool kidz are probably putting docker in docker and coding in rust on
arch whilst badmouthing everyone else on discord but #whatever :]

Richard's problem is more that his base system - even when he uses stuff
like Ubuntu or Fedora - is somehow still anything but stable and if your
hypervisor is fubar, all of your VMs are going to inherit that same
brokenness.

Otherwise I couldn't agree more - get your main OS rock solid and stable
(this is linux after all, it's supposed to be good at this!) and then do
everything in VMs. Test every single damn thing in VMs first before even
thinking about running it for real.

Virtualbox or KVM though, depending on your level of commitment - VMWare
is commercial, closed source and expensive. It's not without it's own
share of problems either (I speak from bitter experience as an ESX admin).

Cheers