Re: [LUG] Fedora to ???

On 05/01/18 13:51, Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> With all the problems I am having with Fedora on my desktop I want to
> install a different desktop to test if there are similar problems to
> the ones I am experiencing. I would like both installs to use the same
> desktop if possible. I will probably install Ubuntu as I am familiar
> with it. But before I do is there any suggestions for alternatives
> please? I am considering Kubuntu to use KDE to see if Gnome is the
> problem.
>
> The other task I want to do is to keep my home directory and share
> between the 2 installs. How easy is it to do that please?

Hi Richard - it's not completely clear quite what you want to do here as
you've accidentally conflated at least two separate things (sorry to be
so pedantic all the time but the devil is in the details!).

A Desktop Environment (henceforth: "DE") is a bunch of software that
together provides the GUI and related tools, widgets and so on that you
interact with as a user - it sits on top of and is independent from
whatever operating system distribution you happen to be running.
Examples are Gnome, KDE, Awesome, Cinnamon and so on. The Arch wiki is
really the go-to place for sane documentation so:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/desktop_environment

Fedora and Ubuntu are entire distributions (see also Slackware, Gentoo,
Debian, Arch and many many others) which you can choose to run any of
the usual DEs on top of - most distros tend to ship with a default DE
however that is usually better integrated with the underlying system.
Fedora and Ubuntu distros both ship with the Gnome DE by default
currently. Kubuntu is a specific "spin" of the Ubuntu distro which is
simply Ubuntu pre-configured to run the KDE DE by default.

The confusion - which is entirely understandable by the way - is when
people accidentally conflate the two. There is nothing stopping you for
example installing multiple DEs on your existing Fedora distribution and
simply choosing between them at the login screen. Fedora will happily
install and run Awesome, i3, KDE, Mate, Cinnamon, Blackbox,
Enlightenment and no doubt many other DEs just as pretty much every
other distro will: Ubuntu can run all of those DEs as well. As can SUSE,
RHEL, Antergos and all the rest. If you like you can install KDE on
Ubuntu - despite it shipping with Gnome - or you could run the Kubuntu
distro and promptly install Gnome on it. What's the difference? There
isn't one.

So, to get back to your original question (which turned out to be two
distinct questions) you need to decide what you want to achieve first.
If you want to test different DEs - Gnome vs KDE for example - you don't
want or need to switch entire distributions. That would in fact make
things *worse* because then you wouldn't be testing the difference
between Fedora+Gnome and Fedora+KDE at all - you'd be throwing out the
consistent base (Fedora the distro) on which you'd base any testing
between DEs and would actually be testing Fedora+Gnome vs Ubuntu+KDE for
example. Which isn't going to work very well.

Now you could test Fedora+Gnome vs Ubuntu+Gnome which *would*
potentially be more useful as now you'd be testing the same DE but based
on different distros. If you swap out both distro and DE at the same
time you're left with apples vs oranges which makes any meaningful
comparison considerably more at risk from confounding variables. Make sense?

The easiest way forward is to leave the Fedora installation in place and
follow these simple official instructions to install KDE alongside Gnome:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KDE

You can then choose whichever DE you like at the login screen and set
about comparing them. No further work is required here regarding your
/home either. Optionally try other DEs as well to see if you can find
and settle on one you really like and take that choice forwards - most
people tend to pick their favoured DE and stick with it even as they
distro hop as it provides consistency and familiarity between different
systems.

Switching distros obviously requires an entirely new base installation
and is a much more invasive process. For once I can give some simple
advice regarding keeping a persistent /home - at your level, don't even
think about it. For a start this requires planning for it in advance and
incorporating the strategy into your initial disk partitioning and
layout schemes which you won't have done (apologies if I'm wrong about
this). You'll presumably have accepted the default Fedora disk
installation strategy which means you won't have a separate /home at all
and the entire lot is encapsulated within LVM. Reinstalling a different
distro over that whilst preserving the /home is entirely possible but
seriously above the effort levels you will want to expend and is also
pointless and stupid anyway.

I'm sure this might be a little controversial and no doubt some
greybeards will pop up on list claiming they've had the same /home
partition since their first Yggdrasil installation in 1992 but such a
thing has never been useful or desirable in the first place anyway.
/home directories are littered with countless distro and software
version specific dotfiles that will categorically clusterfsck your
system when transplanted across even similar distros let alone painfully
migrated across years or even decades worth of evolving code. Don't do
this. Sensible people have backups (like I'm sure you have!) and
migrate/version in the relevant parts of their working environment to
any new system as needed whether it's a completely new distro
installation on their main computer or a throwaway shell account for a
quick remote job. Forget preserving /home - it's not a magic partition
you want complete with all the crap, it's just your important
customisations, workflow and tools/data and those *have* to be backed up
 and available anyway to avoid total incompetency.

So if you do decide you want to completely switch out your Fedora distro
to say Ubuntu or SUSE just double check your backups and then blow away
the entire thing. Pull the bits you want back in from backup after the
install - this has the added advantage of getting rid of all the crap as
well and avoiding yet more of those pesky confounding variables that
really really won't help when you're trying to triage bugs or other
undesired behaviour.

Apologies for yet another one of my lengthy replies but I hope it
clarifies things at least a little.

TL:DR - just install KDE as above first whilst keeping your Fedora
installation in place. Test to see how you get on. Try other DEs as well
if you like. Make sure you are properly, properly backed up (this is
really rule #0). Finally, blow away your entire Fedora system if you
want and reinstall with different distros (and DEs) for further testing,
pulling your data in from backup.

However, my money is STILL on your graphics stack + drivers + firmware
being incorrectly configured, hence the gnome-shell segfaulting.
Kabylake just isn't *that* new or unsupported for Linux any more.

As usual, just keep asking questions if you like :]

Cheers