Re: [LUG] Minecraft without minecraft.

On 04/01/18 09:03, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 3 Jan 2018, Tom via list wrote:

http://www.devonlive.com/whats-on/whats-on-news/you-can-now-take-stroll-982618

links to a minecraft model of Exeters Roman fort. How can I look at this on Linux using free software? Can I load it into Minetest somehow?

I don't think so.

But Minecraft runs OK under Linux - if you are OK with Oracle Java v8. You won't get the stellar performance of running it under Windows but that's more due to the GPU than anything else, but I get upwards of 40fps on my crappy AMD desktop.

If you google enough you can find ways to hack MC to run for free - I paid for my copy, all of Â18 IIRC and regularly play it. You can run it directly with the .jar file or use a launcher - I use Magic Launcher which lets me install texture packs and other plugins easilly - they're all Java, so if you're already running Java apps. then there ought to be no real surprises.

Oh, you now need 64-bit Java to run MC as of version 12.

There is also an OS map of the whole of the UK in MC too. This looks good until you get to an area with a lot of rivers as the water flow algorithm in MC is somewhat "interesting". (which is going to change in v13)

I'll have a look at the fort soon, thanks for the link!

Gordon

I found this today https://opensource.com/alternatives/minecraft

I was wondering if the RaspberryPi version of Minecraft could perhaps connect to someone elses Minecraft serving the Roman Fort?

Tom te tom te tom