[LUG] FLOSS tools for Managing iDevices?

Ugh, this problem seems to pop up every year or two to try my patience...

I'm migrating a long term computer user from a mix of Apple and Windows
legacy systems to Linux but he really wants to keep using his old iPods
for music, which is fair enough. He already hates iTunes with a
vengeance (obviously) and only wants to be able to manually copy music
on/off them - no fancy stuff like transcoding, contacts syncing or
anything like that required. I've dug out my crappy old iPod Nano to
test the current state of play and surprise surprise, it's still a total
pain in the arse. Rhythmbox and Clementine (which I'm sure worked last
time I tried this) both failed to transfer music to the device although
they could read the existing library no problem.

Anybody got a concrete solution for this perennial problem? Linux
software would be ideal but he's going to have to keep a Windows VM
around for a while for other troublesome corner case software anyway, so
I'd reluctantly look at stopgrap Windows-only solutions if anyone has
any. FLOSS hugely preferred of course.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Cheers