Re: [LUG] Router

most people suffer a slow network because they use a hub rather than a switch for
the lan connections.  you can pick up a 1000mb/100mb/10mb 8 port switch from pc
world for about Â20.

i use the metal netgear ones normally but recently i accidentally picked up a
managed dlink switch and im quite impressed.

ps for home use a managed switch is overkill. a regular one will still use automatic
features to optimise packets, and prevent packet collisions (which is what a plain
hub wont do) - its the collisions that slow the network .  the router would then
only impact external traffic so it only needs to be faster than the wan link.

eg. if your adsl is only 20mb ,  your router at 100mb will not be a bottle neck.

Sent from my iPhone