Re: [LUG] DMX and Linux and stage lighting

On 07/11/17 08:22, Tom via list wrote:
On 06/11/17 23:30, M. J. Everitt wrote:
On 06/11/17 22:30, stinga wrote:
On 06/11/17 22:15, M. J. Everitt wrote:
On 06/11/17 21:32, stinga wrote:
On 06/11/17 20:40, Tom via list wrote:
Anyone got any experience with DMX and stage lighting at all?
Yes, never found a good linux controller though.

Because you have to write one .. can't be -that- hard, surely ... !!
Yeah, most likely, and that requires time and effort.
There are Linux surfaces out there.
I would like one with powered sliders so you could call up pages.

In the end we tend to use a simple 24 channel desk, ceap and nasty but
it words.
My main desire was for beat detect to move through a set of steps,
that seems to be harder than it should have been.
Wanted to control led rgb par cans and moving heads, never did get
there and most of the time we use them on sound to light.

A friend and I built a crude-but-effective beat detect centred on a
120Hz bandpass filter - not hard really!

But yes, eventually you go with the commercial kit for anything beyond
hobby use, for ease and reliability, from what I've seen.

I have found this http://www.qlcplus.org/ which looks interesting (a usb to dmx link seems to be Â30 ish) and seems to work on a pi so perhaps with a multitouch screen.....

The biggest issue I have found is the surface you use to control the DMX if you want to run live and for most productions you do want to run live, most then seem to use a DMX to control the software and then you might as well use the desk itself. or use the bcf2000 which allows motorised control sp the faders return to where they where last used in the current scene.

All starts to get tricky and not something you want to go wrong 1/2 through you production!

--
'ooroo

Stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga+dclug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx   o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\