Re: [LUG] OT: 3d printing in wax

I used to work for a company that used stereolithography to make prototype patterns for investment cast turbine blades for power generation and aerospace (normal production was by wax injection moulding). The prototype patterns were not made of wax but a UV cured resin and had a hollow cell structure to reduce expansion/cracking on mould firing. Not sure if wax by 3D would work because of dimensional stability - probably need a lot of finishing work on the pattern. Soluble medium certainly wouldn't work because the investment process uses a water base ceramic slurry and would dissolve the pattern. I have some contacts who have worked in the industry more recently than me, so I might be able to find out where the state of the art is now. Phil.