Re: [LUG] Reformatting previous RAID volumes

On 10/10/17 17:21, Julian Hall wrote:
> The first NAS is still functional as a unit, as all the testing pointed
> to the HD going bad. Now I have one functional NAS with two WD Red 2Tb
> HDs in it, and one empty NAS. As for HDs I have a 1Tb and a 2Tb WD Blue
> HDs.

Well on the bright side you can now backup your backups, which is always
nice. No idea why gparted wouldn't work as normal for you, that's
strange. I guess this is why forcing things in a shell as god intended
is never going to be fully replaced by fancy GUIs.

I can't help but think you would have been better served (no pun
intended) by avoiding crappy proprietary home NAS systems all along and
just building a low power Linux or BSD based DIY storage system. I have
several technical friends who love their Synologys but I'm not convinced
personally - when they go wrong, they really go wrong. They also cost
too much, have too many opaque software components and I just don't
trust random $COMPANY to look after my most important digital assets -
my data - as well as I could.

Each to their own I guess - there is rarely a single "right" answer to
anything. Anyway, glad to hear you finally seem to be past your weird
data corruption issues for now!

Cheers